April 15th


7 years ago today, we took possession of the original 86.


1 year ago today, we sat in the living room of the original 86 and signed a contract for its sale.

Neither is a day I regret, but I'd be lying to say that I'm not itching again.  I haven't demolished or made anything in a while (beside construction drawings for buildings and renderings of weird furniture).
We are currently in a weird state of limbo.  In exactly one month, we will start packing up to move to Detroit and into a very safe, very nice rental.  I will be happy to be somewhere comfortable while we adjust to our new life, but I'm also excited to see the possibilities for our future.
I'm really looking forward to getting a grasp on the city/metro area. We all see them all the time right?  Not just the Detroit "ruin porn", but also the articles about $1,000 houses. It is hard to know from afar (and maybe even while there) what the situation is really like.  All I know is, I'm ready to get my hands dirty again.
The rental has a detached 2 car garage and we hope to set up half as a workshop.  I have some ideas floating around that I'd like to put on paper and eventually to the table saw.  It also has a finished basement.  I plan on taking a big part of that over and organizing all our paper/craft/sewing "clean" work and play around with some ideas.
I've been thinking that I miss blogging, but then I realized that I just miss having creations and projects to blog about. This whole year since finishing 86 has been a creative lull for me. One that I probably needed after a 6 year long DIY renovation, but still, for someone like me, it's hard not to look back and wonder what the hell I did all year.
Again, no regrets, but I am excited for the future and maybe something big next April 15th?

Housing Wanted

I'm not sure I said, but we've decided to rent for a while instead of buying ASAP in Detroit. In the end, we just decided that we wanted to get to know the city a little better before jumping into anything.  I don't think anyone will deny that the Detroit metro area is a complex situation and we just want to make sure we buy where we will be happy.

Marc visited recently and spent about 6 hours driving around.  He last lived their pre-Tucson in 2000 and said things had and had not changed in the last fourteen years.  I feel very ill-equip to say anything about this city even though I've been visiting quite a bit the last 14 years.  Honestly, I feel a little lame in the "safeness" of the rental areas we are looking.  Problem is, we are spoiled with our way of life: Walking to the park, to get ice cream, to the library, to fabulous restaurants and amazing bars.  Right now we want to keep that excitement and ease, while we look for a more permanent place.

I've lived in a ton of rentals in my life.  The one we are in now is FAR from ideal.  It's been pretty amazing for us to see exactly how much the space we live in effects our happiness.  Don't get me wrong, it's cute and close to downtown, but it's very closed off layout.  Only a two bedroom.  The freaking mosquitoes that keep us trapped inside.  The not being able to see the kids playing while I'm cooking.  And having to interrupt what seems like every.single.meal to escort a girl to the only bathroom upstairs. Sharing a room with a toddler.  Ugh.  I could go on.  We realize how much we took 86 for granted.

I'm currently walking a fine line between pro-active and psychotic looking for a rental in Detroit.  I have a pretty big "want" list: 3 bedrooms, at least 1-1/2 baths, good layout, modern-ish kitchen, at least partial finished basement, fenced yard, and walkable to shops/library/park/restaurants/bars.

We let a good rental slip through our fingers last week and now I feel like I have craigslist wired directly into my brain.  Moving could happen in as soon as 8 weeks which has me excited, panicked, and unbelievably sad.  Life keeps happening all around us and we are doing our best to keep up.