Marc bought these Enje roller shades from Ikea, oh let's say over 4 years ago. We just put them up in the renovated office. Before I do a full office reveal post (we are *almost* there), I just wanted to share some minor, easy mods I did to the shades.
Lots of really awesome bloggers have used and cut these shades to fit. (Manhattan Nest, Door Sixteen, The Brick House) Sadly, the trim on our window doesn't allow us to mount on the inside, so we had to go with the outside mounting. (I hate so much of the dumb trim work on this house!)
Here are two small modifications I did:
The blinds come with these big, ugly warning stickers about the cord being a strangulation hazard. I was tempted to peel them all off, but after I patiently tried, I decided it would take me over 30 mins to get each off completely. We have 7 windows. I don't have 3.5 hours to spent peeling stickers.
|Before - Big ugly sticker.|
The stickers are located on the bar at the bottom of the shade. This bar is removable. So I just removed the bar and flipped it around. It's not perfect, but the stickers are almost all hidden from view!
|After - No sticker!|
Along with the warning about the strangulation hazard of the shade cord, Ikea also has a big, ugly piece of plastic that is used to anchor the cord to the wall to prevent a kid from getting their head in there and strangling. Marc thought we didn't need them, but being a worrying mom I didn't want to do without them. I can totally see Franca standing on a piece of furniture to get up there to the cord.
I did not like the look of the big ugly plastic piece though, so on a trip to Home Depot I picked up a package of eyelets for $0.98. I screwed them into the window trim, opened the eyelet slightly to let the cord in and BASTA! cord is contained and not a strangulation hazard!