While trying to finalize our office makeover, I realized both of our office chairs were in a sad state. I sit on an Ikea Jules Chair. It was pretty cheap and it is functional, but not the most comfortable. Marc sits on a pretty cool Steelcase chair that we reupholstered about 10 years ago. (I guess blue vinyl was in then?)
We toyed with getting new office chairs, but it's just not in the budget. I'd MUCH rather not have to haul a potty seat of pee up the stairs 10x's a day, so new chairs took a back seat (har-har) to the downstairs bathroom construction.
I did decide to do a quick and dirty double chair makeover. So, I scored some orange fabric in the remnants section at Hancock Fabrics and got 3 yards for $12 and got to work.
FIRST up was Marc's chair. Seemed easy, but apparently I suck at upholstery because there are puckers.
|Cool Steelcase bumper I spray painted matte black |
along with the arm rests.
NEXT up was my chair, which also required a $8 piece of 2" x 18" x 36" foam. This one was much more tricky and honestly doesn't look that awesome, but it is MUCH more comfortable and fits better in the renovated office. In retrospect, I should have used a patterned fabric to not show the staple imperfections on the back. Sigh.
- Take your chair apart, leave bolts in.
- Cut foam to match.
- Spray-mount foam to chair.
- Staple fabric to chair.
- Cut fabric backing.
- Spray-mount fabric to back of chair.
- Cut holes for bolts, reassemble.